The Jefferson Parish 9-1-1 Communications District is currently accepting resumes for the position of Information Technology (IT) Specialist. This is a technical position and will be involved in the support of the District’s Enhanced 9-1-1 Emergency Communications System. Typical duties include, but are not limited to, assisting in the implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the District’s parish-wide Computer-Aided-Dispatch (CAD) system, subsystems, the 9-1-1 Emergency Telephone system, Mobile Data Computer System and the systems associated with the District’s network. In addition the IT Specialist will work in support of the District’s networks, including cyber security protocols, network analysis, and perform problem identification and diagnostic functions for complex computer systems, as well as identifying hardware and software problems and developing solutions for PCs and server-based systems.
Minimum Required Skills:
- Thorough working knowledge of computer systems operation including management, maintenance, backup procedures and recovery from catastrophic failures.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Provide exceptional customer service to users
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems
- Working knowledge of a range of diagnostic utilities
- Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Keen attention to detail with proven analytical and problem solving abilities
- Previous working experience in the IT industry
- Working knowledge of Computer Aided Dispatch applications for Public Safety Answering Points
- Working knowledge of VMware 6.0
- CISCO and LINUX Server Administration
- WSUS and Active Directory Administration
- Comprehensive understanding of computer hardware and software
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as servers, computers, and peripherals
- Willingness to work odd and irregular hours and be subject to call 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Duties and Assignments (including but not limited to):
- Responsible for supporting all of the equipment in the Dispatch Center including networks, computers, radio and telecommunications systems. This includes application of systems analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with management, dispatchers, first responders and stakeholders to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications.
- Research, resolve, and respond to requests for application support by phone and/or email in a timely manner
- Track issues from submission to resolution
- Escalate more involved issues to the appropriate vendor customer support representatives
- Follow up on tickets and escalations, at pre-defined intervals, until resolved
- Coordinate, facilitate, and/or participate with the implementation of assorted software/applications
- Respond to emergencies or service needs of critical systems on 24-hour on-call basisPerforms other related duties as required
salary range: $60,000 to $67,200.