The JPSO offers a highly competitive benefits package to its employees. Some of the main features include:
- Defined Benefit Pension plan
- Employee assistance program
- Group health plan
- Long term disability policy
- Section 457 Deferred Compensation plan
- Short term disability policy
- Sick and annual leave
- Take-home vehicle privileges for law enforcement officers
- Term Life Insurance policy
- Uniform and equipment provided
Group Health Plan
- 100% of employee premium paid by JPSO
- Dependent / spousal coverage available (JPSO pays approximately 80% of premium)
- Administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana
Sick and Annual Leave Policy
- All leave hours for year granted in advance on July 1 or pro-rated on hire date
- Entry level annual leave: 96 hours
- Entry level sick leave: 80 hours
Take Home Vehicle Privileges
- Law enforcement personnel are permitted to take their vehicles home for limited personal use.
- Nominal monthly usage fee paid by employee.
- Gasoline, insurance, and maintenance for vehicle paid by JPSO.
Uniform & Equipment Provided
- Departmental uniforms are provided for employees at no cost to the employee.
- Departmental guns, tasers, and other special equipment are also provided at no cost to the employee.
- Bullet-proof vests are provided for officers in enforcement positions at no cost.
Short Term Disability Policy
- JPSO pays 100% of premium.
- The policy covers employee for up to 26 weeks at 2/3 salary ($1,250 per week max).
- Benefit payments begin following a 30 day waiting period.
Long Term Disability Policy
- Optional policy available to employees (employee pays premium).
- Benefit payments are 60% of salary until age 65.
Term Life Insurance Policy
- JPSO pays 100% of premium.
- Benefit payments are 2.5 times salary (minimum: $75,000 and maximum: $200,000).
Employee Assistance Program
- 24-hour toll-free hotline for you and your family for a free telephonic evaluation offering support and referrals for 6 face-to-face counseling sessions.
- Other services include a 30-minute consultation with a legal and/or financial professional.
Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- All employees participate in the Louisiana Sheriff’s Pension and Relief Fund, multiple employer, defined benefit pension plan. Contribution rates are set by the state and require employee and employer contribution.
- Employees vest into the plan after 12 years of creditable service and an attained age of 55 if hired before January 1, 2012.
- Employees hired after January 1, 2012 with 12 years or more of creditable service and age of 62, or 20 years or more creditable service with an attained age of 60, or 30 years of more of creditable service and age 55. See the plan for additional vesting options.
- Retirement benefits are paid at 3.33 percent per year of creditable service if hired before January 1, 2012. The benefit is 3.00 percent per year of creditable service for years 1 through 29, and 3.33 percent if 30 years or more. Again, the plan should be referred to for additional benefit terms and limitations.
- The plan provides for surviving spouse and disability retirements, as well as deferred retirement options (DROP).
Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
JPSO sponsors a Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan in which employees are allowed to make pre-tax contributions to a supplemental retirement fund (JPSO does not provide any matching funds at this time).
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on handicap status.