Helping to Protect and Serve.
JPSO Reserve Officers are making a difference every day. Are you ready to aid JPSO deputies in upholding the law and defending our communities? Then become a JPSO Volunteer Reserve Deputy.
The Reserve Deputy Program has been active in Jefferson Parish for over 35 years. The purpose of the program is to provide a framework of well-trained volunteers (non-paid) to augment regular officers. Although reserve deputies receive no pay for their efforts, they serve their community with the same dedication and professionalism as their paid counterparts.
Reserve deputies ride alone, or along with regular deputies, and help provide quality police services to the community. They also provide support at special events such as parades, fairs, and prep football games. Reserve deputies are required to work a minimum of 24 hours a month, but many of the officers work well in excess of that.
After completion of our Reserve Academy, our reserve officers perform many duties to supplement the manpower of the regular department. By performing these duties, which would otherwise be handled by the regular department, they free-up manpower to be allocated to other law enforcement duties.
Some examples of Reserve activities are:
- Patrol support (alone, or as 2nd officer in a marked police unit)
- Assist with arrests and transporting prisoners to jail
- Special missions (drug details, fugitive roundups)
- Assist at traffic accidents, enforce traffic laws
- Festivals, Mardi Gras, marathons, sporting events
- Community service at Christmas time
You might ask ” why become a Reserve Deputy and volunteer their time?”
For many of our deputies, the reasons are:
- To assist and support regular officers.
- They enjoy the excitement
- To help their community
- They receive a sense of pride knowing that they belong to one of the finest sheriff’s offices in the country
- To know that they are a part of the solution not the problem
For others, it’s a way to see if they want to embark on a career in law enforcement. Many law enforcement agencies hire their regular deputies from those who have served as a reserve deputy.
The Sheriff’s Office currently has numerous full time deputies that started out in the Reserve Deputy Program.
The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office Reserve Division continuously seeks qualified community members who meet the tough standards necessary to become a J.P.S.O. Reserve Deputy. Jefferson Parish, and the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office invite you to consider a second career with one of the states’ finest law enforcement agencies.
To be considered for a position of Reserve Deputy, you must meet the following criteria:
The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office Reserve Division is also seeking qualified Officers for lateral entry into its Reserve Division. Applicants must have graduated from a P.O.S.T. approved academy, and will be required to successfully complete the same processing criteria required by Personnel, of the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Download the application. Complete the application and return to personnel. Application must be returned in person. If you are interested in serving the community by becoming a J.P.S.O. Reserve Deputy, contact the J.P.S.O. Reserve Division at 376-2438, or visit them at 1233 Westbank Expressway, Harvey, LA.
Applicants for these positions must meet the following minimum entry requirements:
- U.S. Citizen
- High School Graduate or G.E.D.
- At least 21 years of age for Patrol Deputy
- At least 18 years of age for other positions
- Valid drivers license
- Able to work shift assignments
- No felony convictions
- No drug or domestic violence convictions
Applicants will be subjected to a thorough background investigation including:
- Prior employer and personal references
- Polygraph examination
- Physical exam
- Drug screen
- Psychological testing